May 19, 2008

Museos

Lunes here in Paraguay. It's supposed to get up to 31 degrees today, which means that is pretty hot. I took it easy this weekend but did go to a really cool museum on Saturday. It was Día Internacional de los Museos, so I just had to go. From the recent post on my parent's blog, it sounds like they were in a living museum on Saturday! I must say that so far their blog is a more interesting read than this one, and certainly they have more subscribers. I was near the old Congressional Building, the one that was used by the Spanish before the revolution and the Paraguayans just afterward, and loved the reflecting pool that they have out front. Notice also that the building is pink -- I called them directly just now and they didn't know why, though I have read somewhere the reason and have a pretty good idea. I'll dig up the reason and keep you posted. The other pic is of the building where Congress meets now. They have preserved the old brick section and on top of it built up the new and improved glass building -- looks just like Wilmer Hale, eh? Not quite as big, and they probably don't have as much money, either.

I began teaching my second class on Saturday, as well, which is much larger than the other one. It is a contract through Stael's institute with the Universidad Católica, and the students have demanded that someone teach a writing class. I get to use the same lesson plans that I've been using, so of course that makes it easier. I was saying that it is sacrilegious to work on Saturday morning, but now that I have gone to the first class I am excited.

For my own part, I am looking around down here for a teacher of Spanish writing, since my composition skills are fairly weak. I might as well take advantage while I'm down here.


I am planning on a bus trip out of town the day after my bday to Concepción, which is few hours North of here, mostly just to see something besides Asunción. Plus, if I don't plan it and start talking about it, it's not going to happen. One student that I told was surprised that I was planning on going alone, but I guess that she doesn't know me well enough. Several of the place names -- or at least many of the big cities -- are named for actions which take place in the Bible? Although I wonder if they may be less devout here in the city, the Catholic influence altogether has not been too great, and no one that I know of heads to church on Sunday morning.

We have been working diligently on the Regulations for the Congressional Library, and the project is due sometime next week. I'm not sure they are crazy about deadlines here in Paraguay, though, so I

believe that it will be a floating date. Not to mention that there will be changes and implementation issues, I am certain. Tom and Tracey thanks for the onsite help! Here, Carlos and I are meeting with the future Director and Deputy and another woman who is working with us. The image below is of some documents that they have at the State Museum, which at this point serves as the National Archives. I was happy to see that they were preserving all this stuff so well, and was impressed with some of the other exhibits.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Nic, I check your blog every day and love it when you put on new entries. The pics on this one are really good and go so well with the narrative. We've been struggling with that. Sounds like you're having a good time still, and I'm sure glad they're keeping you busy. Stay away from the girls, they aren't good for you. Dad

H Nic,Sounds like all is well. I'm glad to hear that you are getting out to some different places.I am not sure how we are going to get anything to you for the bday.We may have to save the gift and give it to you later. Do you know how lomg mail takes to get to PY? It is a great idea to take a writing class for yourself while you are there. Love to you,
Mom






s

Nic said...

Glad to hear that you are keeping track -- I think that I have about two readers! I am trying to get the word out, though. The Congressional Library regulations are due at the end of this week, so I am plugging away on that...and staying clear of all women. I hear that they can be quite a distraction.

The bike ride sounds great! You guys are really an inspiration, and no one can believe that you're pulling it off. I suppose that you have a few more states to go, but... Thanks for keeping us posted, keep the posts coming!

tim d said...

it should be cool to head out of town for a bit. how are you getting there?

tim d said...

ahhh...taking the bus. that should be interesting in itself!