May 20, 2008

Can I Just Brew it this Morning?

So, I knew that I would have some difficulties adjusting to the professional and cultural differences here, and right now I'm feelin' it.

The library Regulation is due at the end of this week and Carlos is ready to "get rid of it," which to me seems pejorative since I've worked on it for several weeks. There are several things that will not be wrapped up, like cooperation between the copyright office here in Paraguay and the copyright office of the Library (kinda important), but we haven't yet arranged a meeting. This topic has been on my expressed agenda for several weeks, though. It's PARAGUAY, I keep telling myself. Just do what you can, don't be stressed, and turn in your best work -- you will not change the culture with one project. This morning we had a meeting that was postponed from Friday but we didn't make it. Carlos is a pretty busy guy.

Next, I think that I am going to purchase a coffee machine. I really don't mean to talk trash, but I this is just killing me: Nescafé, café sevada, coffee reheated from the night before, and hot light milk... Ewww. First of all, the custom here is to drink it "cortado," which is about two-thirds milk and one-third coffee -- they believe that the coffee is strong, when it's water compared to what most of us drink in the States. Anyway, they have a coffee machine at the house, but is seems they only it to store coffee in the pot either overnight or during the day, which they heat up the next day on the stove. Instead of using the coffee machine, they filter coffee through a fine colander deal, and usually add this to what was left from the previous "brew." This morning I went up for a coffee after doing a bit of yoga but had to wait for Marcela to make it... So, there are a lot of things I can adjust to, but bad coffee? I just don't think I can live with that.

3 comments:

tim d said...

last night's coffee, reheated and diluted with milk?

dude, you have to draw the line somewhere. as the husband of a woman with a....deep attachment? to her coffee, i understand your pain. if you can buy a coffee maker, by all means set one up in your own little house.

some things may be out of your control but hopefully you can address the coffee situation.

tim d said...

"It's PARAGUAY, I keep telling myself. Just do what you can, don't be stressed, and turn in your best work -- you will not change the culture with one project. "

sounds like pretty good advice. learn what you can and enjoy the experience.

Anonymous said...

To quote AB FAB...

No, not instant. Grind some beans for Christ's sake. I don't want beans that have been cremated. I need them full of life force. And don't make that face when you grind them. I don't want a cup full of your anger either.

:-)