July 8, 2008

Happy 4th!

The Fourth of July understandably went by without much notice from the Paraguayan community, but the Americans had a few memorable get-togethers. Instead of the usual fare of mini-empanadas and cocido (a type of sweet tea made through a process of burning and then straining tea leaves) they had coffee and donuts and the Embassy on the day before the 3rd.

We celebrated like we were in Louisiana to celebrate America's 232nd birthday and the party was pretty phenomenal--great food, great music, and much dancing. The pictures should do some justice. It was one of those occasions where I feel like a tourist shooting pictures of everything instead of just enjoying it (I should author a post just about that, remind me!), but I'm always glad to have them. Thanks Tim, for pressuring me to take as many as possible!

Terrence Simien, one of the most innovative and successful performers of Zydeco--folk music that originated in the South--played a concert for the Ambassador Cason (that's him in the Ben Franklin costume) and the rest those lucky enough to get an invite. Though Mr. Cason's handling of the Guaraní language is impressive, perhaps his own singing talent not so much. Saludos to Mr. Cason and what he has done for el Paraguay--for the music, the libraries, and for the people. We hear that the upcoming Ambassador is far more stern, and likely doesn't speak a lick of Guaraní. No matter what criticism anyone has about him, he always has a good time.Check him out in that Ben Franklin outfit! And the party was more or less his last here in Paraguay, since his three years has passed, and word is that he will retire after returning to the States. Saludos, señor!

How about that Wimbledon final? I started watching at 10:00 in the morning after too long a night on Saturday, and had to endure until 4:30. I figured that if Nadal and Federer persevered through the rain delays and nearly 20 games without a broken serve, I could make the finish. What a match! Always when watching tennis I think of my grandma Donna, who I am sure was behind Federer all the way. He was graceful in his loss, and I think that it's always good to see the underdog get one.



My parents hit the road again over the weekend, and will be giving us creative and enthusiastic reports of their travels through the midwest. Shout out to the Ahrens, who will be hosting them as when they pass through Blair, NE, in a week or so. My dad will also be having a retirement party on the shores of Lake Ogollala in the same state, which he much deserves. He'll have to find something else to do after his bike ride -- hopefully he will get to do some more writing! The blog of the Tour de Homerpearl, which I reckon the Denver Post should have mentioned, is accessible at homerpearl.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Larry said...

Nic, we are in corn country and out of touch, but I read the blog and loved it, we will commment more when we have time. I'm at a library now and things are limited.

rach said...

Hooray! My parents are very excited to see the Newlin two-some again!!